Woodlands Academy is seeking a certified learning specialist for the 2020-2021 school year to teach in the school’s Learning Program to support both students and teachers.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is one of 24 Sacred Heart schools in the United States and Canada. Sacred Heart education at Woodlands Academy is distinctive and emphasizes best practices for the education of girls and innovative practices for academic excellence. Established in 1858, the school forms global citizens and transforms young women through a dynamic of relationships that responds to the dignity of each member of the school community.
The Learning Program at Woodlands Academy serves young women who have a mild to moderate learning differences, strong academic skills, and the ability to succeed in a challenging college preparatory program. The learning specialist will actively engage high school students in the learning process and nurture analytical thinking and a life-long love of learning. A demonstrated competency in multicultural education and educational technology is required, as is a deep concern for educational access, diversity, and inclusion.
The ideal candidate has:
- Support, implement, and model the Goals and Criteria for Sacred Heart Schools
- Master’s degree or post-graduate work in education with emphasis in varied learning disabilities, and experience working with students with mild/moderate learning differences
- Certification in special education and experience with independent schools (preferred)
- A minimum of two years teaching and/or administration experience in an independent environment
- Strong knowledge in one or more of the following: Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Humanities
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport (while being kind, firm, structured, and positive) with students
- Genuine understanding or willingness to learn/understand the culture, community, and the demands students feel on a daily basis
- Willingness and ability to interact professionally, including excellent verbal/written skills, and to collaborate with Student Support Team, parents, students, and faculty
- Strong organizational skills and ability to mentor and coach executive functioning skills
- A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the WA community
Students meet with Learning Program staff every other day, individually or in a small group setting.
The learning specialist:
- Must be facile at teaching within the college prep curriculum and the content and skills the students must attain in order to be successful in their classes
- Must collaborate will the school psychologist to interpret psycho-educational evaluations, writing Student Support Plans with appropriate goals, and conducting staffing meetings with faculty and parents
- Develops strategies to best serve each student’s unique learning profile
- Secures accommodations for standardized tests
- Communicates regularly with faculty and parents
- Provides case management of students’ records and data
- Supports the development and implementation of a process for yearly meeting and check-in for learning program students and families
- Possesses strong people skills in order to be empathetic to students’ and parents’ needs
Responsibilities also include, but are not limited to, supporting the professional development of faculty in differentiated instruction and curriculum designed for learning, and other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Why you should join our community:
- We offer generous health/dental/vision plans, 403(b) with matching benefits, and flexible spending accounts;
- Special holiday breaks, including five days off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas, and two weeks off for Spring Break;
- Shortened summer hours;
- Opportunities to volunteer;
- Get to make an impact on the lives of young women.
How to apply:
Please complete the application materials listed on the Employment web page of the school’s website at https://www.woodlandsacademy.org/about/employment. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, three written references, and a Faculty & Coaching Position Application.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an all-girls, Catholic, college preparatory day and boarding school in Lake Forest, IL. Visit the school’s website at www.woodlandsacademy.org and the website of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools at www.sacredheartusc.education to learn more.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion*, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification under state of federal law.
*The School reserves the right to use religion as a hiring criterion for selected positions and nature of a school as a faith-based institution as permitted by law.