- Residence Life
Woodlands Academy is seeking a Director of Residence Life for Student Community. This role works in collaboration with the Director of Residence Life for Operations and reports to the Associate Head of School. Together the two directors are responsible for overseeing the Residence Life program and Residence Life Coordinators. This position encompasses providing strategic leadership, creating, and overseeing implementation of boarding programming, and managing day-to-day support for a community of 25-40 high-school-aged boarding students. The Director of Residence Life for Student Community is a committed professional who will challenge students to perform at their best, and enthusiastically accepts the role of acting in loco parentis for the boarding students.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is one of 24 Sacred Heart schools in the United States and Canada. Sacred Heart education at Woodlands Academy is distinctive and emphasizes best practices for the education of girls and innovative practices for academic excellence. Established in 1858, the school forms global citizens and transforms young women within a dynamic of relationships that responds to the dignity of each member of the school community.
- Take regular duty shifts to provide after school, evening, and weekend supervision of boarding students, which also includes rotating day school responsibilities, on call hours to support staff and attending meetings.
- Establish the strategic direction of the boarding school for the academic year including hiring and onboarding new staff, professional development, and evaluation.
- Oversee and coordinate support for boarding students in regard to their physical, mental, social-emotional, and academic wellbeing.
- Oversee the continued development of a comprehensive resident activities program, with a focus on activities/events and Coordinator led houses (small communities of boarding students).
- Moderate the Residential Advisory Committee, the boarding student leadership organization.
- Organize communication among boarding staff, parents, and school departments: academic, student life, food services, maintenance, administrative staff, etc.
- Arrange accommodations for guests in the boarding school.
- Work together with Director of Residence Life for Operations to develop and implement restorative discipline policies.
- Work closely with the International Student Advisor and the Director of Student Services to ensure appropriate support for boarding students in the day school.
- A commitment to cultural diversity and ability to work with local and international individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- A female with a bachelor's degree in an appropriate educational field is required.
- At least three years of residence life or boarding school experience preferred.
- A valid driver's license in order to drive a 14-passenger bus and 7 passenger transit van.
- This role is a live-in position, which requires Residence Life employees to live on-campus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communicating clearly in written and oral forms with a diversity of constituents; detailed oriented and highly organized.
- Works well with adolescents and knowledgeable about the issues of adolescent girls.
- Ability to speak Spanish or Mandarin is preferred but not required.
- Support, implement, and model the Goals and Criteria for Sacred Heart Schools.
- A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the WA community.
- Upon employment: completion of Protecting God's Children training and cleared of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks.
Why you should join our community:
- We offer generous health/dental/vision plans, 403(b) with 5% contribution of annual salary, and flexible spending account;
- Room and board are included;
- Employees get summers off with special holiday hours for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break
- Opportunity to volunteer;
- Have a tremendous impact on the lives of young women.
How to apply:
Please complete the Residence Life Position application materials listed on the Employment web page of the school’s website at https://www.woodlandsacademy.org/about/employment/applicationformresidentiallife. All applicants must submit a Residence Life Position Application, cover letter, and resume. We also strongly suggest applicants to submit three written references.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an all-girls, Catholic, college preparatory day and boarding school in Lake Forest, IL. Visit the school’s website at www.woodlandsacademy.org and the website of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools at www.sacredheartusc.education to learn more.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion*, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification under state of federal law.
*The School reserves the right to use religion as a hiring criterion for selected positions and nature of a school as a faith-based institution as permitted by law.