Students describe their experience at an all-girls’ school as demanding, exciting, and life-changing. Their voices are heard and their accomplishments are numerous. They don’t need to fight for attention or for opportunities to lead.
They’re encouraged to focus on developing the very best in themselves, while pursuing challenging coursework. Students in all-girl classrooms confidently voice their opinions, ask thought-provoking questions, and embrace new learning experiences and opportunities.
A growing body of research during the past decade has documented what all-girls’ school educators have long understood: All-girls’ schools give young women the best education to succeed in college and the world beyond.
A recent example of this research is the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies' 2009 report on single-sex schooling and the transition to college. Based upon their nationwide blind study of female college freshmen, the UCLA researchers found that girls’ school alumnae start college with a number of significant advantages, including:
- Ten percent more girls' school graduates rate their confidence in math and computer abilities high at the start of college compared to their peers from coed schools.
- Girls' school alumnae are three times more likely than their coed school peers to consider pursuing careers in engineering.
- Girls' school graduates rate their academic performance,public speaking, and writing skills more highly than do coed school alumnae.
- More girls' school graduates consider college a stepping stone to graduate school.
- Girls’ school alumnae report they are more likely to stay informed about politics and participate in classroom political discussions than do theircoed school peers.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is a school whose tradition of excellence in all-girls’ education dates back to 1858. Our students enjoy not just equal opportunity, but every opportunity. Girls are always at center stage: every student leader, athlete, artist, speaker, and musician at Woodlands is a girl. We hold our students to the highest expectations, and encourage them to become confident learners, critical thinkers, and self-starters.
Woodlands Academy’s all-girls’ environment yields rewards that last a lifetime. Among them are our seniors’ annual 100% college acceptance rate and admission to a consistently exceptional list of colleges.
The 37 members of Woodlands’ Class of 2012 have earned admission to 102 different colleges and universities, including the University of St. Andrews in Scotland as well as small liberal arts colleges and major research institutions across the United States.
For a comprehensive listing of research about the benefits of all-girls’ education, visit the National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS).